Saturday, May 13, 2006

Birthday stuff

An anonymous commenter asked if a nice card and heartfelt wishes would be good for my birthday? Certainly. I'm not so shallow that if I don't get a gift from you I'm not going to accept a card and heartfelt wishes.

There's something about a birthday that for me it brings out the little kid. I had few friends growing up and I sometimes had to share my birthday with Father's Day, which really sucked. My birthday never fell in the school year except on the second day of Finals my senior year and nobody decorated my locker. I don't say this for pity; it's so that you understand where I'm coming from. This may be a date for you but it's my day to me. And I'm going to party. If you want to party with me, come along. Some want to really party with me and maybe they're looking for ideas. So I'm not shy to let them know what I want. I don't want a picture for the wall; I have no wall space. I don't want a Hickory Farms sausage pack; the last thing I need is fattening food. I sing and I knit. Since you don't know what kinds of music I like (and I have very varied tastes in music), I choose to mention fiber books I want. Like Norah Gaughan's Knitting Nature. Or yarns that I like. Not Red Heart or Lion Brand; good yarn like Lorna's Laces or Cascade. Or if you're at a loss at what I want, what stores I like to frequent so that you can opt for a gift certificate.

But such mentionings are considered rude, so the gift giver is at a loss at what to give. Think about it. When was the last time you got something you really wanted for your birthday and you didn't have to say a thing? Or got something that made you go "Wow! I didn't want this but this is so perfect! Thank you!"

So on June 15th, you can send a card and heartfelt wishes. Just be sure to sign the card with your name, not Anonymous. I'll be celebrating my 44th birthday and will want to thank you for the nice card.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Hey, Duffy, go for it, say what you want! No different from all those wishlists etc, but more personal. It's like all this 'not nice to talk about money' rubbish - say it upfront!

Emily knitsib