Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Days of Tea and Knitting

Melissa (or Teaknit Melissa as I call her to differentiate her from the other Melissas I know), is an East Coaster who migrated West. Her eye for detail in all she does is amazing. Not only is she a great knitter but she also is a great photographer. Check out her work here.

Q. When did you learn how to knit? Did someone teach you or did you teach yourself?

A. I learned to knit from my father when I was a little girl. I don't remember knitting very much, but it stayed with me. Then when I was in my early teens my dad learned to knit continental and then I knitted that way. Not purling, but knitting continental. It wasn't until around 10 years ago that I took it up again and got pretty serious. Unfortunately my father wasn't alive by then and has never seen me really knit. I think about that a lot when I'm knitting. Imagining him looking over my shoulder or commenting on my technique or the beautiful yarn.

Q. If you were sent into exile, which 5 knitting books would you take?

A. My first emotional response would be NONE! Knitting books are a luxury item in some strange way to me. But, backing up into that question, I guess I would choose 4 different issues of Interweave Knits and Knitting in the Old Way.

Q. Describe the most unusual/notable occurrence that happened while you were knitting.

A. Here in Portland, I've met my best friends: Four women who are always there on Sunday afternoons to knit, for each other's birthdays and every holiday (not to mention when we just need to talk or knit and talk or just KNIT.

Laa la la la

This year Confluence Chorus is doing outreach concerts in various places in Oregon. Next Saturday Influence, Confluence's subgroup, will be singing at the Benton County Democrats will be having a garden party fundraiser called SummerBlue 2007, held at the Dancing Oaks Nursery in Monmouth Oregon. More information may be found here. We'll be starting up rehearsals for our tour of southern Oregon that Sunday. If you visit, say Duffy sent ya!

No comments: