Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Tour De Fleece Day 4

The spinning continues apace. I spent this evening finishing up a bobbin of the lighter fiber for doing some experimental plying later. I haven't decided if I'm going to ply one dark and one light single together or ply the colors separately. The color difference is subtle but enough that if I started a light skein after a dark there would be a distinct line. The lighter wool is not as full of vegetable matter as the dark so it's spinning up quicker. It'll come with me to Wednesday night along with bobbin number 4.

A box arrived with some things from Widget Supply. This fall during Oregon Flock and Fiber a group of us will be selling things under the PDXKB Co-Op. I may have some handspun but I'm also considering making orifice hooks for spinning wheels. The handles will be beaded instead of having a wood or polymer clay handle. I'll try to affix the beads closest to the end of the hook so that they don't roll around. The wire for the hook has been the challenge because most beading wire is fairly thin and coiled on a spool. I wanted wire that is straight and thick enough so that it can handle being shoved into an orifice without kinking up or bending but not so stiff that it can't be bent to the spinner's liking. I found the perfect wire: 16 gauge in a multitude of colors. I got some crimping pliers and crimps but the crimps turned out to be too small. They'll be used for other projects, but I'll need to get larger crimps for this project.

No comments: