Saturday, September 01, 2007

Labor Day, Schmabor Day

I can't help but think of this when Labor Day comes around:

Labor Day, Shmabor Day, what a dumb day To hire some jerk, then send him away. To celebrate work by playing all day. (copyright Jim Davis)

Not that I'm deriding the efforts and gains early unions made to improve working conditions for many industries. Many of the benefits that most US folks take for granted in a job (extra pay for overtime, safe working conditions, health benefits) were non-existent 100 years ago. But Labor Day in the US has become not the celebratory holiday of the grubby worker but the last gasp holiday of summer before the kids go back to school. Labor unions do hold their annual picnics at this time giving politicians a chance to shake hands and shmooze with the hoi polloi. But in general it's a reason for stores to have sales, for tv channels to have program marathons, and for folks to finish up summer projects around the house.

This October I'll be hosting a knitting gathering with friends from the GLBT Knit list. The house is a disaster area and being the old house that it is (1913 Craftsman) it has no storage areas. I took advantage of a sale to get some shelving units that will reside in my spare room, holding not only lightly used items but also my stash so that it's out of the way. It will clear some space in here for knitters and help me keep my house cleaner.

Knitting

Lately I've been futzing around with some Paton's Canadiana for an afghan. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with things and even though the knitting is comforting I just haven't been wanting to get into a project. I do have some UFOs I will return to: the Clapotis in Blue Heron rayon; the Rogue in Classic Elite for Linda; the fancy socks. No pictures; sorry.

1 comment:

M-H said...

Hey - which weekend is your gathering?