Thursday, April 20, 2006

Playing with EZ and Ted

One of the things from Elizabeth Zimmermann's vast compendium of classics I've wanted to make was the Baby Surprise Jacket. I thought that for the RSM Part Deux there needed to be a sweater-like garment, so I thought that it would be a good opportunity to see if I could make up a small version of the BSJ. Since I had never knit it up before and it was a funny looking beast before its finishing, I thought it wise for me to knit it up as written before tinkering with size adjustment.

Last year, Ted, who is currently working on a bazillion stitches of lace with Wabi Sabi, experimented with dyeing some Kroy 4 ply yarn. He did two different colorways using food dyes, but didn't know what to do with them or if he would ever use them. So he offered them up to me since they were sock weight. Yarn fetishist I am, I accepted them. No idea what I would do with them, but there they were.

Well, they called out to me when I got to thinking about doing the BSJ. "Try us! See what we look like!" And sure enough, they produced a really cool colorway. I alternated 10 rows of one ball with 10 rows of the other so that one colorway doesn't dominate in one section. Really cool!! Thanks Ted!

1 comment:

M-H said...

I've made loads of these over the years, Duffy. They're been much admired and appreciated. The pattern 's a lot of fun to knit.