Sunday, March 19, 2006

She knit an itsy bitsy teeny weeny.....

.....piece of lace. As part of the Mystery project, I thought I'd try some fine gauge knitting. I found some needles size .5 mm that caught my eye if nothing for their lovely beads. They're German steel with nice points. Knitting with them was interesting. I thought that the beads would be too heavy but they proved to be a good counterweight that kept my stitches from being too tight.

The yarn was a no-label laceweight merino (2/16 is written on the label for you number junkies--some day I'll know what that means. Probably sooner than later, knowing my friends) that I picked up from KnitPicks' company store in Vancouver WA. The sample is an easy eyelet that could be a scarf pattern. Use a needle size 3 or 4 sizes larger than what is called for on the yarn label (i.e. a size 7 weight yarn use a size 10 needle).

Cast on with a loose cast off an even number of stitches + 10.

Knit first 4 rows.
Pattern:
Row 1 - K5, *YO, k2tog* to last 5 stitches, K5
Row 2 - Purl
Row 3 - K6, *YO, k2tog* to last 6 stitches, K6
Row4 - Purl
Repeat Rows 1 through 4 until desired length. End by knitting Rows 1 and 2, then knit 4 rows, then cast off with a loose cast off. Block so that the eyelets are round and even.

No comments: