Sunday, May 27, 2007

What's to say?

There hasn't been much going on that is blogworthy. I'm not cranking out a pair of socks a day or working feverishly on an heirloom. I can't really talk about job doings in detail and I've chosen to not talk about contentious issues. Heavy use of the computer at work has curtailed my knitting, though I'm taking advantage of the long weekend here in the US to put in more rows on the Clapotis. As I tell folks who return from vacation when they ask if anything happened at work no one died, no one was fired, no one quit and no one retired.

I read a lot of knitting blogs, some daily and some occasionally. Some post almost daily, some weekly, some less often than that. Subjects run the gamut. I don't claim to be one of those who is extraordinarily erudite or entertaining and if someone says I am I'll wonder what drugs their taking while I tell them "Thank you." I try to be at least interesting enough for folks to return to just to see what's going on.

I don't generate a lot of comments (I think the most I've generated for one subject was 9), but then I'm not fishing for comments. My blog was conceived with the purpose of posting my knitting pictures and letting folks know how I am. I've had responses indicating that this method gives me an air of conceit: do I think I'm important enough to post my life on the World Wide Web? Perhaps I do. But I don't look at it so much as a promotion as much as a tool to communicate with my circle of friends I've garnered through the Internet. I'm trying to give depth to the two dimensional correspondence of email. It's not as effective as one-to-one contact since it lacks all the nuance of body language. But when you're separated by hundreds and thousands of miles, it's a tool that's available. My counter tells me that I'm being seen, which satisfies me.

Singing for a purpose

June is Pride month in the US and Confluence Chorus devotes a concert for Pride. This year's offering is "Sharing The Pride", which is a joint performance with Jubilate! (pronounced yoo-bi-LA-tay) in Corvallis and Salem Oregon on evenings of June 8th and 9th. This May Oregon passed legislation that adds sexual orientation to the anti-discrimination laws and created domestic partnerships for same sex couples. While the domestic partnership law is being seen as a "separate but equal" law in some circles, I see it as a step forward toward granting same sex couples who are strongly committed to each other the rights and privileges that opposite sex couples currently have. I'm proud to sing for that.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

I created my blog to share my fibery stuff and a little part of my life with my friends and anyone else who stops by.

It's a great way to keep track of what I am working on, what I have accomplished and the day to day happenings.

I love stopping by your blog to check in with what's going on with you.