Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmas meme

Taken from Persistent Illusion while waiting for the furnace repairman.

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? I'm moving more and more towards gift bags. I like them for their reusability. Of course there will be items that no way can you wrap in a gift bag unless you like the ones that have HEFTY printed on the side.

2. Real tree or artificial? When I had trees, they were always real. Now I opt for real greens for a wreath or garland.

3. When do you put up a tree? After Thanksgiving. Nowadays I don't do a tree at all because I have way too much clutter around, but I like a nice wreath that can carry over through the winter. Trader Joes has eucalyptus ones that smell so nice and are so different.

4. When do you take the tree down? Between Christmas Day and New Year's Day.

5. Do you like eggnog? Yes, when it's homemade.

6. Favorite gift received as a child? I always remember my first stereo system. Big hurking box that overwhelmed everything else. It had a turntable and 8-track tape deck. My first record was "K-Tel's Dy-Na-Mite Hits" and first 8 tracks were Elton John's "Captain Fantastic" and Steve Miller Band's "Fly Like An Eagle". I was in heaven.

7. Hardest person to buy for? I really don't have one. Usually it's men I have a tough time buying for if I do, but I somehow find something interesting.

8. Easiest person to buy for? My friend Ruth. She loves frogs, especially exotic frogs, so just about anything having to do with frogs is a treat.

9. Do you have a nativity scene? No.

10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail. There's something about getting a letter in the mail from old friends that makes the season so different. I've moved to just sending out letters instead of card cards but I print them on festive paper.

11. Worst Christmas gift you've ever received? Nothing comes to mind. I think I blanked out those things.

12. Favorite Christmas movie? I've fallen in love with The Polar Express. I love good animation and that one in particular just appeals to so many things I love about Christmas.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? The list gets written up in October since there will be knitted projects in the mix. I do a large chunk of it between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I pick out a day and make it a fun day event. I especially like going to the funkier neighborhoods to find things. The response they get is such a treat.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? I have a white elephant box for gifts received as part of exchanges and such. They make the rounds.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas. Really good dipping chocolate. I would sneak into my mom's store of the stuff she'd get from Van Duyn's for dipping nuts. On one of my first solo trips out Christmas shopping I stopped at a Van Duyn's to get my own chocolate and wound up with a hunk of dark chocolate. It wasn't the same, but it was still good.

16. Lights on the tree? I don't put up a tree so I don't have lights up, but when I do decorate I have white and multis.

17. Favorite Christmas song? O Holy Night. I'm not Christian but that's such a beautiful song.

18. Travel at Christmas or stay at home? Lately I've been more a stay at home person. December is such a hectic month for me that I relish having the quiet time.

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Yes, indeed, ma'am.

20. Open presents Christmas Eve or Christmas morning? Mom and Dad had Christmas on Christmas Eve so that the kids got a good night sleep. One Christmas my brother came down with his three kids and we had Christmas in the morning. My sister convinced me to do my hair in rollers. I slept on the floor while my nieces and nephew were up and down all night. Got no sleep but had beautiful hair. Swore I'd never do that again.

21. Most annoying thing about this time of year? The constant assault on the senses from commercials, followed by the nearly savage mentality of the shoppers looking for just that one thing that Dad wants.

22. Favorite ornament or color? The rich old fashioned reds, greens and creams of Victorian style ornaments. Just love 'em.

23. What do you want for Christmas this year? A nice smooth month and year end process for the next few weeks. Really.

24. Angel on the tree top or a star? We never had a tree topper when I grew up except for a green light at the very top. I found a really cool star tree topper for my tree when I left home.

25. Favorite Christmas dinner? Prime rib at my brother's house. Mmmm. Christmas beast.

Have a safe week everyone!

No comments: