Saturday, August 20, 2005

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket? Certainly not to the vets! Sammy and Maisie had to though. Their teeth were in a state and needed a good cleaning. When the day was over Maisie had lost 4 teeth and Sammy 1. Hard lesson on taking care of my kids' teeth and I'm remorseful for having let them get to that point. They're both recovering well from the ordeal. Maisie never liked going to the vet; this pretty much confirms it in her mind that the vet is an evil S.O.B. and any trip in the car is a trip that's going to end with pointy things poking in various places, strangers touching her, and awful smells. She told me all about it the whole long way home. In the meantime I fit in my myriad projects wherever I can. I finished Side 2 of the Peace Blanket border and am now working on the top border, which I had to figure out. It has a provisional cast on as I'm working on it from the middle to the end. There isn't much at this time to show the detail, so you're just gonna have to wait. In the meantime, I'm working on a Hallowig in wool and mohair. This is for an old frield of mine from work who found out she has breast cancer and is having a lumpectomy. She has regaled us for years about her nutty relatives. But when she told us that her niece and sister were upset at her because she wasn't going to be losing her hair in the treatment (they wanted to buy her a wig), I had to send her the link to the Hallowig. She loved it so much she said she had to have one. "Purple," Mary said."Bright purple, and fuzzy. So I can wear it and drive them nuts. The wigs they wanted to buy me were hideous." So she's getting one in purrrrrple. I had some handdyed mohair I had purchased from a gal in Astoria Or leftover from the many projects that had the right bright purple in it as well as blue (very nummy stuff). I found the matching purple wool yarn Thursday during class. After doing my gauge swatch, I found that it was bulkier than I expected, so I cast on 62 stitches on #8 needles and will be casting on 20 for the bangs. Another project I'm working on is a scarf in GGH TajMahal (wool/silk/ cashmere). This is for a silent auction to be held September 24th at the Confluence Chorus 5th Anniversary concert. If you're in Salem Oregon that day, come hear us sing; we'll be at the Salem Unitarian Universalist Congregation 5090 Center St NE. The silent auction starts at 6:30 pm; the concert is at 7:30 pm. I've also been trying to get the time and place to do pictures of my favorite provisional cast-on, the crochet cast-on that you do directly onto the needle. When I was shown that cast-on, I was very pleased for it fit into my "less work for more results" philosophy. I saw it illustrated somewhere else but I can't for the life of me remember where. It was in a book I had obtained recently, so if you know of where this is illustrated, please share with the rest. It takes a step out of the usual crochet cast-on, which is crochet a chain then thread the needle through the chain. The cast-on I do has you holding the needle in your left hand as you crochet around it. It's particularly nice for projects that require a flexible cast-on and have a lot of stitches to cast on, like end to end scarves/stoles and shawls. Can you believe it's only a month until fall? My favorite season! Whee!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do that same provisional cast on. I find it difficult to knit into the bumps on a crochet chain and can't see the point when you can just make the bumps around a knitting needle. For some reason I think I saw it illustrated in the back of a Knitters magazine but the techniques vary by issue, I think.