Sunday, September 07, 2008

A productive week

Month end week is usually stressful, so anything that can help relieve it is always welcome. The Kauni sweater fulfilled that role very nicely and I made good progress on the right sleeve. I'm one repeat of the pattern and a cuff away from finishing that, which at the rate I'm going will be at the end of the week.

Saturday I paid a visit to my old LYS Unraveled Yarns. Polly was there covering for Lisa, who was on vacation. Some Ravellers from Vancouver came in to sit and chat and Ilsa with her beautiful beadwork stopped by as well. I managed to leave with only one skein of yarn and a lace shawl pattern. There were many things that were tempting. Trust me.

One thing that came up in the conversations was Sarah Palin. Apparently there is a forum on Ravelry called "Sarah Palin Must Be Stopped". Now I know there is a lot of venom out there, but this to me is so over the top. I personally don't like what she stands for, but I'm not going to jump into the pile in Ravelry. The same thing was done to Hillary Clinton in the conservative forums. No thanks.

The day wound down to some spinning time. I was far behind on my listening to episodes of Cast On so I turned that on while I was working on Louie. Before I knew it it was nearly midnight and I had a skein of plied yarn and another hundred yards or so of singles on another bobbin. Happy camper!

Fiber Events this September

The TKGA/CGOA convention will be coming to Portland next weekend. I'll be taking a couple of day long classes then: Austrian twisted stitch knitting and Faroese shawl construction. Candace Eisner Strick of Merging Colors and Strickwear is teaching the Austrian stitch class and Joan Schrouder's teaching the Faroese. It will be interesting to see what I come out with at the end of the weekend. I won't be able to indulge in the market that will be at the convention, but hopefully I'll find something I can take home as a souvenir.

At the end of September is the Oregon Flock and Fiber Festival (OFFF) in Canby. I'll be there with my buds from the PDX Knitbloggers and the GLBT Knit List. On hand will be my Baynes wheel and a bunch of wrist distaffs from leftover sock yarn for sale. If you're looking for a spinning wheel and are in the Portland area, contact me at fiberqat at gmail dot com. She's a good wheel but finances require she find a new home.

No comments: