Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Fifteen minutes of fame

Last night was the book signing at the Oregon Forestry Center for Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's latest book, "Things I Learned From Knitting". The place was packed with Yarn Harlot fans so Jayme the Wonder Publicist and Tina of Blue Moon Fiber Arts deserve kudos for doing a fabulous job of arranging for a venue. There wasn't the frantic looking for spare chairs like at Powell's Books.

The PDX Knitbloggers planned for having folks save seats for those who could not leave early from work, so the group had a good place near the front to see and hear Stephanie talk. Of course if you're working on something a little complex it's mostly hearing. I took the Kauni sweater with me to work on so most of the time I was knitting and counting stitches so that the pattern wasn't messed up. Prizes were awarded to the Scavenger Hunt participants with a grand prize given to the winner who succeeded in getting 88 points worth of items. Stephanie was quite impressed. The pictures will eventually be on Flickr with the link on Stephanie's blog, so when her post is up you'll have to go check it out.

It ended up being a long evening for me as I waited until the line got short before going in. I didn't get home until nearly midnight. But Stephanie was very pleased to receive not only the DiCentra roving I purchased at the Aurora Fiber Faire but also a serenade from me that brought down the house. When 400 knitters stand up and applause your performance in the same venue as the Harlot one is a bit knocked over. And Tina gifted me with a skein of STR Heavyweight in Space Dust for my performance. Gawrsh! Thanks!

Here are a few pics from the event.

Update: Here's a video of the song: http://www.vimeo.com/931254/ . Enjoy!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, there's Badger in his really beautiful sweater that I'd be happy to steal off his back.

Anonymous said...

So pleased to be there in effigy!

Video! I NEED video!

Mel said...

What Ted said!

Tallguy said...

Outstanding performance!

And that grandcarriage sure has been getting a lot of use of his Dad's cardigan -- even before his Dad does!

You all look like you're having so much fun! Wish I was there...

Anonymous said...

Oh man...wonderful video of you, Duffy. I'm so glad I was there to see it. You were fantastic, and deserved the standing ovation! Wouldn't have missed that for the world.

Sharon Rose said...

Wish I'd been there! *hugs*

Teresa said...

Loved the video. With the laughing and clapping it is hard to hear all the words. Would you be so kind as to share them in written form? I completely understand if you choose not to.