Friday, June 26, 2009

Michael

It was a shock to hear that Michael Jackson died. But now that the shock is wearing off, I don't know what to think. He did have an impact on the music world, but it's sad to think that this man with such strange ideas of how to behave in society never got a chance to prove to the world that he wasn't a freak. The image I have of him is of a man chasing an bubble holding the key to happiness. He never reached it. Now the media circus will have a field day and we'll be seeing the tabloids screaming about this, that, and the other fantastic things about Jacko. Ugh.

The question is now will Paul be able to get the Beatles catalogue back? I hope so.

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

It is weird. I've been thinking about it all day (MJ), and I think society has totally misread his fascination with kids. I suspect it stemmed from the fact that since he was 4 years old when he started touring, his last real contact with normal society (i.e., having playmates to interact with) occurred at that age, so he was emotionally "stuck" there. I'm not so sure he did anything unsavory. I'm not sure he had the emotional maturity to understand what society thinks is unsavory, or why.

My theory is that because he was denied a regular childhood, he tried to live vicariously through the children he surrounded himself with, and maybe tried to connect with them to recreate the childhood he missed out on. He probably had boundary issues, relating to people like a child would, just never learned how to relate as an adult. I feel for him.

But, he's at peace now. Hopefully he's found the light of love and acceptance wherever he wound up.

RIP, MJ.